Day 5 (Monday 30 March)
This morning I decided to go to the local supermarket early to avoid the queue. Fortunately I had gone early enough to miss the queue but what a surreal experience! First a masked man offered me some hand sanitiser and directed me to the sanitising wipes so I could wipe the handle of the trolley. While the shelves weren't empty they certainly weren't as full as usual and the layout of the store seemed different to what it used to be. It's only Day 5 of lockdown and already I felt uncomfortable being around people and finished my shopping as quickly as I could. I had to wait in the red circle by the checkout to ensure I was maintaining an appropriate physical distance and a perspex screen separated me from the checkout operator. A very different experience to my weekly Countdown shop just over a week ago!
The other unusual sight today was two nurses consulting with patients in their cars outside the doctor's surgery.
Finally I have succeeded in video chatting with Dad via facebook messenger. I wish I'd tried this earlier as it was so simple and Dad and I got connected straight away. While we were chatting I got a phone call and had to hangup, telling dad I would ring him back. When I tried to ring him back it said he was on another call. When we finally got connected again Dad told me he had somehow ended up video calling his sister in law in Hamilton.😁 Dad asked me if he could call other people as well, and when I explained that he could call all the people on his messenger list he was so happy. In his words "You've made my day."
Geoff has started the bathroom renovations today. We are lucky we have another toilet and the renovations don't impact on the shower.
One thing I am really struggling with is not being able to recycle. At the moment we can only recycle glass and I'm not sure how long that will last for. It feels so wrong to put plastics, paper etc into the rubbish bin. I guess at the moment the focus is on saving the human race rather than saving the planet!
Today's update on total Covid19 cases is 589... fortunately no more deaths. The number of cases has more than doubled in only 5 days. Scary stuff.
What I am thankful for today: Seeing the look on Dad's face when he realised how easy making a facebook messenger video call is and how he can connect with so many people this way.
The other unusual sight today was two nurses consulting with patients in their cars outside the doctor's surgery.
Finally I have succeeded in video chatting with Dad via facebook messenger. I wish I'd tried this earlier as it was so simple and Dad and I got connected straight away. While we were chatting I got a phone call and had to hangup, telling dad I would ring him back. When I tried to ring him back it said he was on another call. When we finally got connected again Dad told me he had somehow ended up video calling his sister in law in Hamilton.😁 Dad asked me if he could call other people as well, and when I explained that he could call all the people on his messenger list he was so happy. In his words "You've made my day."
Geoff has started the bathroom renovations today. We are lucky we have another toilet and the renovations don't impact on the shower.
One thing I am really struggling with is not being able to recycle. At the moment we can only recycle glass and I'm not sure how long that will last for. It feels so wrong to put plastics, paper etc into the rubbish bin. I guess at the moment the focus is on saving the human race rather than saving the planet!
Went for a walk today ( I'm really hoping we don't get to absolute lockdown where exercise is forbidden) ...saw some lovely pavement chalk art in George St, encouraging me to do hopscotch and telling me it is a nice day for a walk.
Today's update on total Covid19 cases is 589... fortunately no more deaths. The number of cases has more than doubled in only 5 days. Scary stuff.
What I am thankful for today: Seeing the look on Dad's face when he realised how easy making a facebook messenger video call is and how he can connect with so many people this way.
Comments
Post a Comment